Common reasons for seeing an ENT specialist


If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms listed below, it’s important to see an ENT specialist right away. These problems may require treatment by an ear, nose and throat (ENT) specialist:

Heavy nasal congestion, snoring or sleep apnea.

  • Heavy nasal congestion, snoring or sleep apnea. If you’re congested and snoring, there’s a good chance it’s due to a sinus problem. Sleep apnea is another possibility—it occurs when the airway becomes blocked during sleep and causes interrupted breathing. If your doctor finds that you have moderate to severe snoring or sleep apnea, they may refer you to an ENT specialist because these conditions can cause pain in the jaw area as well as headaches and neck stiffness (called “cervical” pain).
  • Hay fever symptoms: nasal congestion; itching eyes; runny nose; sneezing fits; stuffy sinuses


Hoarseness is a condition that occurs when the vocal cord has difficulty producing sound. Hoarseness can be caused by a number of factors, including

  • A cold or allergies
  • A growth in the throat (a tumor)
  • Acid reflux (heartburn) * Vocal cord paralysis * Thyroid condition

Head or neck cancers.

Head or neck cancers are a common reason for seeing an ENT specialist. Cancer can spread to the lymph nodes in the neck, or it may spread to the lungs or brain. If you have cancer, your doctor will want to get rid of it as soon as possible so that you can live life without worrying about getting sick again.

Your doctor may recommend surgery, radiation therapy and/or chemotherapy treatment if they think it will help keep your head clear of cancer cells (though this is not always necessary).

Tumors in the ear, nose or throat.

You may have a tumor in your ear, nose or throat if you:

  • Have a growth on your head that grows fast, like a tumor.
  • Have trouble swallowing or feeling pain in your neck and throat.
  • Can’t hear as well as usual (for example, it sounds like someone is whispering instead of speaking loudly).

If you have any of these symptoms and they don’t go away after some time, see an ENT specialist right away!

Unusual bony growths in the outer ear.

Bony growths in the outer ear are a common problem, but it’s important to know that there are several different causes of them. The most common cause is trauma, but other causes include infections or inflammation.

If you have unusual bony growths on your outer ear and they’re causing you pain or discomfort, talk to an ENT specialist about what can be done to get rid of them. You’ll want to make sure that any procedure will only be performed once all other treatments have failed because some procedures require surgery if they’re not successful after multiple attempts at getting rid of these types of problems by other methods (like medication).

Cleft lip and palate.

Cleft lip and palate is a birth defect that affects the shape of your nose and mouth. It’s sometimes called a “fissure,” which means there’s a gap in your upper lip. The cleft can be anywhere along your gum line or inside your lip, depending on how severe it is.

Clefts may be covered by skin and have no other visible effects on your face unless they’re very big or have been present since birth (called congenital). In these cases, surgery may be needed if you want to fix them so that you don’t get teased about being different from other kids who don’t have this issue at all—but only if you feel comfortable with undergoing such an invasive procedure!

Ear infections that cause hearing loss or balance problems.

Ear infections are common in children and can cause hearing loss or balance problems. They’re usually caused by bacteria, viruses or fungi that enter the ear canal through a hair.

The ENT doctor will examine your child’s ears to determine what kind of infection they have, how severe it is and if there are other potential complications like:

  • Hearing loss (It may be temporary or permanent.)
  • Balance problems (Affects one side of the body more than another.)

Chronic sinus infections and asthma.

Chronic sinus infections are a common cause of hearing loss in children. They can also lead to balance problems, headaches and asthma. In some cases, chronic sinus infections are caused by allergies or infection.

Children with chronic sinusitis should see an ENT marketing specialist who will run tests to determine whether the problem is due to allergies or another underlying cause such as an infection. Once this has been determined, treatment can be tailored to your child’s unique needs based on their age and medical history

These problems may require an ENT specialist to treat them.

ENT specialists are doctors who specialize in ear, nose and throat problems. They can treat many different problems, including hearing loss and balance problems; snoring; sleep apnea; chronic sinus infections; cleft lip or palate (a structural defect of the palate).

ENT doctors also help patients with earaches or infections that cause pain or pressure behind the eardrum. These conditions may not be serious enough for you to see an ENT specialist right away but could become serious if left untreated for too long—that’s why it’s important not to ignore them!


We’ve covered a lot of ground here, and we hope you feel more prepared to choose the right provider for your needs. But if you still have questions, don’t hesitate to reach out—we’re always happy to talk about ENT treatments and what they can do for you!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.